Saturday, May 12, 2012

Divine Costumes

Divine Costumes.  That was the name of my first naked solo dancing onstage.  I was in college.  My parents, grandparents, cousins, aunt and uncle were in the audience.  I had credited Mom and Dad as the costume designers.  



Photo by Jennifer Maeve
I remember the stage manager asking if I wanted to put clothes on for the bow.  I remember thinking he missed my intention... to honor the body.  I remember how moved I was that night to hear people's responses.  My female housemate came up after the show and said my dance made her feel like a Goddess that night.  I remember my male housemate saying he wanted to sexualize it, but he couldn't, it was so much more.  I remember grandma's cousin sat behind some young children and she thought they would laugh.  But when I started dancing they were silent and mesmerized.  


I remember the email grandma's cousin sent me 10 years later, "Beautiful Cousin, twice removed, you are out of this world!  You have created a field of exploration that is all of you.   I am sorry to be such an old lady, about to be 80, or I would be participating in all your events."  


I remember the dancer who was going to perform the duet with me before she developed a back injury.  I remember her surprise that I encouraged her to rest and take care of her body.  Our professional training had taught us to be martyrs more than sacred bodies.  I remember the moment I chose to do the show anyway and to improvise a solo based on the duet we had started to create.  


I remember rehearsing in the dance studio naked and covering the windows with pink foam boards.  I remember my friend who sat filming me, baring her breasts in solidarity.  I remember the security guard who walked in and asked us what we were doing.  I remember thinking he felt more like an insecurity guard.  I remember the badge I made the next day as I experimented with being a soul security guard.  


Painted by Rainbow for the Sacred Sex Round Up
I remember the awkward moment of disrobing in the "dressing room" while everyone else put clothes on.  I remember feeling the most comfortable on stage.  I could get away with things in the spotlight that caused discomfort off stage.  Maybe it was because the performance gave people permission to look... there's some magic about performance that gives us permission to show and to see more intimately.  Or maybe people like to look out from the dark.


I remember performing naked again years later at the Sacred Sex Round Up with my friends, a djembe player and an opera singer.  I remember a couple came up to me after the solo crying.  They said it was the first time they could share the experience of being turned on while watching a naked woman perform.  They said they felt I let them see all of me.  I remember the woman of the couple chosing to transform that night.  She began to study with my sexual shaman teacher.


Earth held, the sky has never explained infinity so clearly.

I remember hiking naked in the red rocks of Sedona with my soul sister and best friend from kindergarden.  I remember laying with our legs open, sunning our yonis.  I remember how delicious the fire of the sun felt on my clit.  I remember thinking, "how have I never spread my legs to the sun before?" And then thinking, where else could I?  I remember the couple who came along the trail and the split second of wondering if we should move.  I remember the man tripped as he came upon us.  I remember inviting him into our comfort rather than joining him in his awkwardness.  I remember as he passed the blessing I called out to him, and really to myself, "enjoy your life!"

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful sisStar. Thank you for sharing.

    The Red Rocks send their greetings...and gratitude for your Love.

    Blessings,
    Kris Ellen
    Sensualist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post! I'm glad I got to be a part of many of these naked moments :) I was actully just thinking recently about the sublimely naked moments in my own life - not all necessarily sexual - dancing naked in a moonlit meadow in Oxford with a good friend, the summer with you in Dunya's apartment ... and realized that you were one of the inspirations that started me upon a much more sensual path in life. I admire your courage in sharing this with an audience and with your family, something which both scares and also inspired me.
    I am also very inspired now to spread my legs to the sun. Going to be on the lookout for opportunities to do that ... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so honored to be part of the inspiration of the magical journey I see you on.

      Delete
  3. Thank you! That's beautiful, but of course it is - you are beautiful!
    I was mesmerized by your performances at the Sacred Sex Round-ups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheri!!! Thank you for checking out my blog. Your work has been a great inspiration for me.

      Delete
  4. Zahava, you are doing healing work - healing from one of the oldest and deepest psychic wounds of humanity, the condemnation of the body. Every major religion has a version of the idea that the mind or spirit or soul are angelic, eternal, and good, while the body is corruptible, mortal, and sinful. It's at the heart of the story of Adam and Eve and at the heart of the science fiction fantasy of downloading the mind into a machine to achieve immortality. It plays out in sexual abuse by supposedly "pure" priests and gurus, in homophobia, in anorexia and the whole range of body image issues and disorders so common in our time. When male is associated with the spiritual and female with the physical, it is the basis of all kinds of cultural abuses against women. When the human mind is seen as spiritual and the Earth is seen as corruptible, it is the driver and the excuse for environmental destruction and exploitation. When peoples who deny the body are seen as civilized and those who don't are seen as savages, it is a reason to enslave, to exploit, to displace people. To celebrate the body, to experience the spirit and body as facets of the same living reality rather than as opposing forces, and to share that experience with others through your art and your teaching, is to be a healer in the highest sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fred for seeing so clearly the full context of this sacred work. I enjoyed our body painting shoot many years ago!

      Delete
  5. (Mr.) Sandy KennedyMay 13, 2012 at 10:54 PM

    In "The Untitled Feminist Show" this past winter, the all-women cast all peformed naked from beginning to end. The production was very powerful for many reasons, but much of the power was due to the blatant naturalness of the nakedness. These women seemed to give themselves to us as they really were. But they got dressed for the curtain call (!) and, POOF!, what we had experienced with them was gone. I left the theater feeling manipulated and disappointed. Those powerful, naked women had not been real; their nakedness had just been an appropriate costume. The curtain call was a clear and disappointing statement that actual reality was a group of women hiding within their clothes, and that that's who they thought they really were. Really too bad. Stay naked, Zahova!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am crying with happiness - gorgeous, lovely post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts.